If you have a router and modem combo, you may be wondering how to connect the two devices. The process is actually quite simple and can be completed in just a few minutes. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to connect a router to a router modem combo:
1. Begin by unplugging the power cord from your modem. 2. Next, take the Ethernet cable that came with your router and plug one end into the “WAN” port on the back of the router. 3. Plug the other end of this same Ethernet cable into the “Internet” or “Modem” port on your modem.
4. Now, plug the power cord back into your modem and then turn on both devices. Your router should now be successfully connected to your modem!
- Locate the Ethernet port on the back of your modem-router combo device
- This is typically a yellow port
- Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the back of your modem-router combo device
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the “Internet” or “WAN” port on your router
- This is typically a blue port
- Power on both devices by plugging them into an electrical outlet and flipping their power switches to the “On” position if they have them
- Wait for both devices to fully boot up, which may take a minute or two in some cases
- 5 Your modem-router combo should now be successfully connected to your router!
Use Modem/Router Combo As Router Only
If you want to use a modem/router combo as a router only, there are a few things you need to know. First, you’ll need to find a modem/router combo that has both Ethernet and USB ports. Second, you’ll need to connect the modem/router combo to your computer via an Ethernet cable.
Finally, you’ll need to configure the settings on the modem/router combo to work as a router only. Once you have all of the necessary hardware, follow these steps: 1. Connect the modem/router combo to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
2. Configure the settings on the modem/router combo to work as a router only. The exact steps will vary depending on your specific model, but in general, you’ll need to disable the built-in modem and enable routing functionality. 3. That’s it!
Once the modem/router combo is configured properly, it will act as a router only and allow you to connect multiple devices wirelessly.
How Do I Connect Modem Modem to Router Combo?
If you have a modem/router combo unit, the process of connecting it to your computer is pretty straightforward. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
1. Locate the Ethernet port on the back of your modem/router combo unit.
This is where you’ll plug in the Ethernet cable that came with your unit. 2. Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on your modem/router combo unit, and then plug the other end of the cable into an available Ethernet port on your computer. 3. Once everything is plugged in, turn on your modem/router combo unit and wait for it to complete its power-up sequence.
This can take up to a minute or two. 4. Once your modem/router combo unit is up and running, open up your web browser and type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.1 . 1 if that doesn’t work).
Does a Router Modem Combo Need a Router?
No, a router modem combo does not need a router. The modem portion of the combo provides the internet connection and the router portion provides the wireless networking. However, if you have a separate wireless router, you can connect it to the modem portion of the combo unit and disable the wireless feature on the combo unit.
If you want to connect a router to a router modem combo, there are a few things that you need to do. First, find the Ethernet port on the back of the modem and plug in an Ethernet cable. Next, take another Ethernet cable and connect it from the WAN port on the router to one of the LAN ports on the modem.
Finally, power on both devices and wait for them to boot up. Once they are both up and running, you should be able to access the Internet from your router.